Pages

Monday 9 April 2012

GOWAN, MOONLIGHT DESIRES

Was that really Gowan I was watching jumping off a stool, teetering on his piano, and moving so fast across the


stage that even my camera had  a hard time capturing him? You bet it was.

Gowan performed four Canadian tour dates in between his Styx performances. I have had the opportunity to see Gowan for the last 25 years, by himself, with a band, and performing with Styx where he has been for the past ten years. He has just re-released "Gowan Great Dirty World" with the addition of a few new songs. He gets better with age. His voice is clear, precise, and melodic; never out of tune. His acrobatic performances across the stage add drama and a theatrical stage presence that mirrors his music perfectly. It's no wonder he was chosen to be included in the Styx band.



The show was riveting to say the least. With an all star cast which included Todd Sucherman (Styx), Peter Nunn (Honeymoon Suite), Terrence Gowan (his brother), Danny Ricardo (Toronto fame), and back up singer, Taylor Mills (Brian Wilson), who is married to Todd Sucherman, time stood still. Not  only was I listening to their music but it had a sense of taking me back to the past, reliving my younger years and reminding me where I was when I first heard the songs. The show was ultimately "amazing" and one of the best I have been to in the past few years.

Larry Gowan was very personable and friendly as were the other members in his band. I enjoyed the night immensely as well as the conversations had. Yes Todd Sucherman IS one of the best drummers (sorry - the best). With Peter Nunn playing piano in the background, as I drank a glass of wine and spoke to Danny....I think.... does it get any better?






No comments:

Post a Comment