Pages

Monday 1 April 2013

SCALA SANTA (SAINTLY OR HOLY STAIRS)

Reportedly brought to Rome by St. Helena in the fourth century, these are the stairs that Jesus walked down when Pontius Pilate announced that Jesus would be crucified.

They consist of 28 white marble steps that are encased by wooden steps and are located in a building across from the Basilica of San Giovanni di Laterano. These steps can only be climbed by going up them on your knees. Although I have gone to see these stairs often, this is not something that I have done myself...but it is quite amazing and inspiring watching others do this. As they climb the stairs on their knees, they pray. Once you reach the top, encased, is a piece of the last supper table. Today I spend time watching how many people are doing this. Even if I decided to go up on my knees, it would take me quite a long time because there were so many people. Instead, I decide to go up using the stairs that are located on either side of these saintly stairs which can be climbed up normally.








No comments:

Post a Comment